We had great SQL Saturday #236, the second annual St.Louis SQL Saturday event, on Aug 3. As always, PASS plays a big role helping make any SQL Saturday event successful by providing the necessary infrastructure to run the event.
We moved the 2013 event to a different facility this year, the Wool Center at SLU. SLU provided the venue for this year’s event, as well as a few of their staff members to help us out on the day of the event. we could not have asked for any better. We definitely plan to continue host future St.Louis SQL Saturdays at SLU.
I would also like to thank the core team of organizers – Mike Lynn, Jay carter, Danielle Mayers and Kim Tessereau for putting in a lot of hard work to make this event possible. There’s also several volunteers who helped out at the registration desk, lunch line and classrooms, all of who deserve a big thanks. Organizing a successful SQL Saturday is definitely a team effort and I could not have asked for a better team for this event. No SQL Saturday event is possible with out the the speakers who contribute their time and skills , to present at the event. The generous support of all event sponsors plays an equally important role.
Last but the not the least, all the attendees who took the time to attend this event on a Saturday and are passionate about learning as well the SQL Community, deserve a big round of applause as well.
As organizers of the event, we noted a few improvements that can help us make the 2014 event even better;
1. Event Date – Quite a few of our regular local speakers, as well as several potential attendees could not make it to the event due to vacation plans. Several SQL Saturday organizers from the mid-west region had similar experiences in the months of July and August. We are planning for a event date in the month for September, for the 2014 St.Louis SQL Saturday.
2. Communication of Event start time and SpeedPASS – Though the first lecture for the day started at 9:30 AM and the registration desk opened at 8:30 AM, we had several attendees show up for the event before 8 AM. some of the sponsor representatives did not get the directions to the free parking lot We will definitely be much more clearer with our communication in the future. On the bright side, over 60% of the attendees came in with a printed SpeedPASS, which help the registration process move smoothly.
3. Lunch – We seem to have erred on the side of caution again while ordering lunch for the attendees, volunteers and sponsors. While we donated the left over lunch boxes to the building staff, we intend to plan the lunch orders better for the 2014 event.
4. After party – We intend to explore a venue closer to the SLU campus, for the after party for the 2014 event.
5. Recommended Hotel – While we were unable to secure a discount at the nearby hotels for the 2013 event, we intent to start negotiating with these hotel earlier for the 2014 event.
Please follow these links to the view the pictures taken during this event :
Please feel free to send us your feedback and suggestions to make the St.Louis SQL Saturday event better !
Please feel free to send us your feedback for the event.